Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Two Book Tuesday



Just a short post this week since spare time has been quite sparse.  :)

I've been spending most of my free time studying for Midterms and haven't had much time to spare for "fun" reading, so this post will be about two books that I was really excited to add to my want-to-read list.

"Spork" by Kyo Maclear is a children's picture book about, you guessed it, a spork!  Poor little Spork doesn't fit in with the rest of the cutlery in the drawer; the spoons think him too point and the forks too round.  Will he every be picked for mealtime?


The art style for this picture book is right up my alley and is something that immediately drew my eye to the title.  In addition to teaching young children about tolerance of others and learning that individuality is a-ok, "Spork" looks like it could very easily be one of the cutest little books I've read this year.

And the second book that I'm excited to read (I've just checked it out from the library) is "Mort(e)" by Robert Repino.

"Mort(e)" is a very unique take on human extinction...  The Colony, a race of intelligent ants that have been working for thousands of years to eradicate humans are taking the next step in their war effort.   They turn the surface animals into high-functioning beings who will rise up to kill their human masters.

The main character of this novel is Mort(e).  A former housecat turned war hero, Mort(e) is looking for his pre-transformation friend - a dog named Sheba.  In order to find his long lost friend, Mort(e) will travel to one of the last human strongholds and there he will discover the source of EMSAH (a human bio-weapon) and perhaps will find the answers to his questions.

Really, it sounds like the coolest animal point-of-view story that I've read since "Raptor Red" by Robert T. Bakker.

Once the craziness of Midterms has passed, I plan to crack open "Mort(e)" and read it in the evening, while keeping "Spork" for my next 15-minute break at work.

Are you reading anything interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment